Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: Chat, Behavior: Barking problems

I can certainly understand how you feel, but I think that a vet does not "hack
out" a dogs vocal cords".  From what I was told from our vet, it is no worse
than a tonsilectomy and it only reduces the bark to a softer bark.  It does
not quiet the dog.  However, if someone thinks that shock is more humane, I
suggest that you all back into an electric fence for a few times so that you
can see how that feels.  Trust me when I say that you will not be a happy
camper.
Don't worry, I have done neither shock nor surgery for our pyr, golden and
lab.  Pyrs have been bred to bark.  That's why they are called "Large Guard
Dogs."  It seems there are so many more important issues to worry about than
barking.
Dave