Re: [PyrNet-L] RE: chat, behavior: Noah's barking

>Thanks for you input on Noah's barking so far.  A few of you have been
>completely against the shock collar but I'm not sure you've given me any
>other suggestions (no, I'm not flaming you here -I don't have a flaming
>personality--I'm just looking to keep the peace in the neighborhood).  What
>else do you suggest?  The surgical debarking?  A few have suggested that I
>bring him in all day but that is not possible as a few human family members
>are allergic (hives, asthma, etc...).  I know that some of you feel it isn't
>fair of me to limit his natural barking but I don't know what other recourse
>I have.  Do you have other suggestions?
>Cheryl R.

Cheryl,  I can't think of any other suggestions...
Although I am not an advocate of shock collars,  I am not going
to tell anyone else not to use them.  My personal belief is that debarking
is kinder than shock collars.  I can't buy into the thinking that it is
inhumane to debark a dog.  As it allows them then to act as natural as
they can and bark all they want.  I don't think they go into a state
of depression or that they really care how loud their bark is,  I personally
think getting shocked would be less desirable to the dog.  However every
person has the right to do what they think best and if it is better for them
to use the shock collar, then do it.  To each their own.  I just think that
a person is in for alot of headaches if they think they are going to teach
a pyr not to bark.  And of course there may be some lucky people out
there who have a pyr that simply do not bark all the time.

Tim Parks