Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Bunny-Crunching

In a message dated 1/1/99 12:02:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
agarthan@uq.net.au writes:

> You guys don't really think
>  a pyr that crunches a pet rabbit is a good thing, do ya?

I'm not sure anyone would say it is a good thing.  I also don't think anyone
would say that a Pyr who has killed a bunny is a "bad dog" either.

While breeders might like to say and think that *all* Pyrs are born with an
innate ability to guard and protect any living creature that is weaker and
smaller than they are, that simply is not how it works, as much as we would
like that to be the case.  The inborn balance of drives and instincts in an
individual dog, which is then further shaped by environment and training, can
vary tremendously. It is not as though any breeder can guarantee a precise
formula in this regard.

Most of my Pyrs either are inherently okay with wild rabbits in their
territory, or have to be trained to leave them alone.  A couple of Pyrs I've
owned over the years have eaten live baby bunnies from the nests in our
backyard (3 acres).  These same dogs would also dispatch and kill skunks,
groundhogs, and any other wildlife in their territory if they can catch it.
These same dogs were perfectly sweet, gentle animals with us and with our
children----not the least bit aggressive towards humans.  I will however say
these particular dogs territorial instinct IMHO was more highly developed than
their non-bunny eating counterparts.

If you want a Pyr that would inherently leave small critters such as these
alone, then you should look for a puppy out of parents with this trait, and
you should be prepared to train your dog to leave small critters alone!  On
the other hand, I'm not sure you would want to rule out any possibilities
based solely on ancestors past history with rabbits.

Can't make the leap that a Pyr who has not been trained to leave rabbits
alone, and who when given an opportunity kills a rabbit, is more likely to be
a people aggressive dog.  It just doesn't work that way.

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com