[PyrNet-L] New soon to be owner

On 31 Dec 98, at 13:42, Catie Andrews wrote:
> I would like to show obedience but I was told
> this in not a dog that will do well in the obedience ring.

Hi Catie-
I just want to second what Janice and Holly have already said about obedience
training. You'll have a lot of fun, you'll build a strong bond with your dog,
and you'll have a dog that behaves dependably in all different situations. I
am always annoyed by the assumption that Pyrs are not appropriate dogs for
obedience training. My first Pyr - Tuckerman - earned both a US and a Canadian
CD. It was always fun to show Tuck because people (including judges sometimes)
just didn't expect to see a Pyr in the obedience ring. I think they were
always surprised at how well he worked. The Goldens and Shelties may have had
a few points on us, but Tuck was definitely the best-looking dog in the
class!!! (Secret weapon: always wear white....that way little things like a
crooked sit are harder to spot :-) The folks who take their Pyrs all the way
to UD work are my idols......maybe one day!

These days I'm training my 7 month-old Pyr goofball, Bridger. My unbiased  <g>
opinion is that he's the valedictorian of his obedience class. He's very
bright and will do almost anything for a treat! Although we're following a
fairly traditional training routine, I've been experimenting with clicker
training and Bridger seems to really enjoy it and responds enthusiastically. I
wish I knew more about it. I know there are people on this list with a great
deal more experience using the clicker. I'd love to hear some of their
comments about specific obedience applications with it. The one other
recommendation I'd make is to start your obedience training right away - check
out available training facilities and go with the one which uses a
"motivational" method emphasizing positive reinforcement. Sit in on some
classes to really get a feel for the training philosophy.

I'll be looking forward to hearing all about your puppy.

Lyn and Bridger