Re: [PyrNet-L] Agression fear

Perhaps this may ease some of the concern regarding Pyrs and aggression with
other pets.  This may get a tad long, so feel free to delete now.

Paddy is 7.5 years old.  I got him as a rescue when he was 4.  He had gone
through a really tough time of neglect and while not really abuse, just plain
not being loved.  His breeder did try to provide some additional affection
while she had him, but he had to live in a kennel environment and he really is
a "mush" at heart and so the kennel was even a bit less that what he wanted.

Paddy learned to live with my other two Pyrs, Sekhet and Aslan and my Tibetan
Spaniel, TeaTime.  They have since gone to the Rainbow Bridge, but not before
Aslan and Paddy became the best of friends.  During a severe snow storm 2
years ago the boys made snow forts in the backyard.  Paddy did most of the
work as Aslan had severe arthritis and hip dysplasia.  Aslan would lay on top
of the fort and survey his kingdom while Paddy patrolled the fence line.  Then
both boys would play in the snow.  Aslan stood in the middle of the yard while
Paddy ran around in a circle so Aslan could "play bow" with him.  A memory of
a lifetime.

When Sekhet and Aslan went to the Bridge I added another Tibbie to the family.
Buddy and Paddy took an immediate dislike to each other on sight.  *Don't
panic! keep reading.*  Buddy would lunge and nip at Paddy's feet and all the
time Paddy would just stand there and look at me like *will you DO something!*
about this little rugrat!  Over time, Buddy learned that Paddy was OK and
stopped nipping.  One day we were out for a walk and a dog came running
towards us (of course he was not on a leash) headed straight for Buddy!
Unbelievably, Paddy jumped in front of Buddy and protected him.  Paddy never
bit or even attempted to, but he did do the Pyr growl and scare the livin'
bejeebers out of the other dog.  [Never did see a human.]

Paddy then checked out Buddy thoroughly after I put Buddy back on the ground.
Once satisfied that Buddy was unharmed, Paddy assumed the aloof attitude he
usually has around Buddy and we finished our walk.

Moral: Even though my Pyr Paddy doesn't like Buddy and Buddy doesn't like
Paddy, Paddy has the reasoning ability to separate personal issues from his
*job* of protecting his flock of four Tibbies.

When I got Kiri as a 5 month old puppy who adores her big brother Paddy and
makes him crazy with always licking his face and just being a general pain in
the patoot, Paddy takes care of her and watches over her as if she was his own
baby.

These Pyrs are *smart*!

Stephanie, Paddy and TeaTime
pyrmom@aol.com