Re: [PyrNet-L] Non-pyr: pit fighting

In a message dated 12/31/98 2:25:52 PM Eastern Standard Time, clhenke@juno.com
writes:

<< When Pyrs. are used to guard flocks ( or whatever they may be out
 guarding ), I have heard that they are put in with the flock early and
 remain with them.  Are they still handled often by humans, to keep them
 social to humans?  I have read conflicting reports on this. >>

Many great Flock Guardians are placed for the first time with the flock as an
older dog.  Many also serve as show dogs, Pets, etc.

The placed "early on the 'milk of the ewe' " is an ole tale that I have no
fault with, but the opposite also works.

For an antidotal account of one place from a kennel situation to guarding in a
pasture to:

Patou's Journal

http://www.pyrenean-journal.com/Pyrenean_Journal.html

Click on "Patou's Journal"