Re: [PyrNet-L] allergies

TLehrman@aol.com wrote:

> Glad to hear you guys are committed! First thing to do is ask your doctor for
> a prescription for those non drowsy histamine blockers, and get out the
> dustmask
> and brush and conditioner. Often times it's the dander from the dog, not the
> actual hair that humans are allergic to. Good luck!    Ted

Sometimes it's not even the animal, but other allergins that they are
carrying on their fur.  Last summer Abby kitty came to live with us
after having been found abandoned in a parking lot - and pitifully thin
and with a ragged, unkempt look - obviously having been in that parking
lot for more than a day or so.  My youngest daughter, who has asthma,
opted to have Abby sleep with her.  Within a few nights Janelle's asthma
was to the point that I had to take her to the doctor.  She had had a
really bad episode.  At the doctors I mentioned Abby, but Janelle was
very defensive of Abby.  However, Abby did start sleeping with another
daughter.  After Abby had been with us many months - and had been
diligently washed by her adoptive kitty sister (Dexter) she no longer
upsets Janelles asthma. (We found the post about washing cats right on
target!!)

Janelle has slept with other cats before without any problem.  Since
Abby has been groomed by Dexter, who taught Abby to groom herself - and
since Abby is now regularily grooming herself - and since all kitties
are inside kitties - Janelle can be around any of the kitties with no
problems.

Cecilia and Marcella and Abby kitty (I get regular food and water now
and am growing into a regular cat.  They even think that they are being
nice to me by taking me to a person they call the "vet" - however I let
that vet and her vet tech know just how tough parking lot kitties can
be!)

southern California
pyrfectpup@earthlink.net