Re: [PyrNet-L] dew claws

Catie,  the breed standard calls foe the double dew claws in the rear,
and they are just that, extra claws, complete with pads etc.  I wrote
asking if many of the Pyr. folks had problems with them being  ripped
off.  Traditionally that is why Vets. remove dews, to avoid injury.  I
noticed that mine used their dews more than any other breed I had seen.
Mine have slipped off of rough areas and actually hung and supported
themselves by them.  I think they probably do help them in their native
land.  But I don't know how badly they get injured under those same
circumstances.  I have only one ( Polar Bear ) that carries no dews at
all ( just a quirk of birth, I guess.  Although she is a pretty girl, and
the most mature Pyr. looking of the group as youngsters, at this stage.
I agree, I do like the look those extra digits give them.  Adds to the
oversized foot look!  If your not going to show, then it becomes a
personal choice I guess.  You do need to be aware that their legs can get
ripped up, and bleeding can be a problem.  On the other hand, on this
breed they do seem extra sturdy!  Hope this helps!  Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]