[PyrNet-L] Sad story, and caution for new puppies!!

Also, as a word of caution, and in the interest of good advice for new puppy
owners......

I have an 8 month old female/spayed pyr who is about to have bone surgery,
most probably due to an injury from slipping on a hardwood floor.  My old
home is mostly hardwood floored, but I keep large, rubber backed area rugs
in all major rooms, and smaller ones in the hall and kitchen areas.  I was
cautioned about slippery surfaces with my pup when we got her, but figured
there was so little uncarpeted area we were okay.  Now, we don't know when
the injury occured, pyrs are typically very pain tolerant I'm told, and
accidents do happen.  But more than likely, one of her spills while chasing
or playing and slipping on the six or eight inches in between rugs caused
her growth plate in her rear hock to fuse on one side. Her leg is growing
crooked, causing a limp, and severe toeing out, which if not corrected, will
disable her in just a few years. We've been trying to diagnose this limp for
several months, so the injury must have occurred prior to six months, and
with her growth, finally manifested as a limp, as the bone continued to
grow, turning the leg more and more crooked.  She will need probably
multiple surgeries since she is young, one now to get the bone going in the
right direction again, and one in about another year or so when the bones
are expected to be mature.  That leg will always be a bit shorter, since
they will remove a wedge of bone, but it will be sound, and hopefully free
from arthritis.

I feel blessed that the situation is permanently correctable, however
costly, and it may or may not have been prevented, but please be careful
with those little ones on linoleum, and wood floors!  Even when visiting
others homes who may have slippery floors, and spunky puppies excited to see
new people will romp and squirm like crazy!!  The little guys are so
flexible and resilient, but those bones are growing at a phenomenal rate
under that fluff!

Deanna and Lucy