[PyrNet-L] CHAT, CARE: Pyr Treats

    Well, Albert is very food-motivated!  (He started out with his litter
being known as "Fat Albert"!!  I removed the "Fat" part of his name!
    He likes the store-bought variety of treats. (I usually stick mostly to
lamb & rice or liver varieties because of allergy fears.)
    Here are some of his favorite home-made treats:

   He loves dried bagels or french bread or bagettes. I watch for sales on
them and bring them home and if they are the tiny bagels I bake them whole. If
they are big bagels I slice them in half  so I have 2 circles. The french
bread and bagettes I slice thickly. Then I put them all on a cookie sheet in
the oven at 200 degrees. Leave them in a long time. I leave them until they
are not soft anymore.  Sorry, but have never timed it! Just go in every hour
and feel of them! I have even dried some bagels by hanging them on strings in
the kitchen, too.  Albert goes crazy looking at them hanging there, though!  I
have even tried freezing a few of them and he likes frozen ones, too!
    Another favorite is meatballs. I make mine small about an inch. Here's my
recipe that I use for my family: If you want to you can leave out the onions
for the dog ones, although my understanding is cooked onions are OK, just not
raw ones. I usually just make up a LOT and freeze a lot of them. (Albert even
likes them frozen!!)

                             Meatballs

 Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
 Mix together all ingredients in big bowl:
 (CLEAN hands work great as mixing utensils, although for sure the phone will
ring the minute you get messy! Never fails!)

 1 pound of ground beef or chicken or turkey

 3 Tablespoons instant minced onions

 2/3 cup oats

 1/8 tsp. pepper

 1/2 tsp worchestershire sauce
 (I use more like 1 tsp. if I use chicken or turkey in recipe for humans'
tastes)

 1 egg, beaten

 1/4 cup milk

 Roll into 1-inch balls and place on cookie sheet with edges or shallow pan.
You can place the meatnballs very close together, too. Half inch apart maybe.
Bake at 400 degrees in oven for 10 - 15 minutes, depending on stove. They will
be browned all over.

    To freeze: cool meatballs 5 minutes. Place in freezer 15 minutes. Pack
partially frozen meatballs in freeze container, heavy plastic bag, or wrap
securely in foil.
    I serve the meatballs to my family in a variety of different sauces:

 Stroganoff Sauce, served over rice or noodles.
 Bar-B-Q with toothpicks for hors'deuvrves.
 Mushroom sauce, served over rice or noodles.
 Italian Sauce, served with noodles.
 Spaghetti sauce over spaghetti.
 A fruity bar-B-Q sauce made with cranberry sauce, over noodles or as
hors'deurve.

    I usually get in these moods and I'll buy 10 to 15 pounds of ground beef
or turkey on sale and use 3 pounds for meatloaves and the rest for meatballs
and some browned ground meat. (Browned ground meat I use with the above
sauces, too, except the fruity Bar-B-Q one. Plus use it for Sloppy Joe's and
pizzas by adding Bar-B-Q sauce to it. Then I'll have enough meals for a few
weeks except for at least once a week that is fish night (for the guy's
hearts' health!). If you want some easy recipes for Stroganoff Sauce or
mushroom sauce or anything just ask me!

   Another thing I have done that Albert loved was to get liver on sale and
slice it thin and bake in slow oven, too, until dried. So you end up with lots
of very thin pieces of liver bits about half inch square or so. Great for
training rewards!

 :)  &  :)```  (me grinning & Albert grinning & drooling!)

 Janice Vocke
 MagEBroD@aol.com
 Shelton, WA.