Re: [PyrNet-L] CHAT, HEALTH: Lymphoma/Clondike Update

In a message dated 1/25/99 1:27:11 AM, David wrote:
<<I think we are pretty much out in uncharted territory with this protocol,
which apparently has only been in clinical use for a month or 2.  I'll
keep you posted.>>

Toopher has been gone quite a few years now, since 1987, and I'm sure the
drugs and protocols have advanced, though she also got a few you mentioned.
She had a few minor remissions, very responsive to changes in treatment. We
were happy with anthing. She was never outwardly sick from the chemo, or just
had no physical manifestations. She'd be a little down the day of the chemo,
but in general it was a year of changed attitude toward her; every day was our
last one. She went everywhere with us, did things we wouldn't have thought of
if she was well. It was worth every penny.

She felt truly bad one evening. Next morning, positively terrible. We didn't
even know if she'd make it to be put down. The vet came out to the truck, so
she wouldn't have to go into the office.     ******* NOTE THIS!!  >>>>>  She
was in remission. She had NO signs of Lymphosarcoma. So we did an autopsy. I
say WE because I helped. I owed her that much. I hoped we'd be able to find
out why she'd died to help another someday. We found that her tumors were
completely free of cancer, but had become encapsulated little bags of dead
cells. One in her abdomen had ruptured; she died of sepsis, not cancer. After
that the vets at Cheshire (CT) Vet Hospital started some antibiotic regimen to
go along with the chemo, and through later contact with the vet who was
Toopher's primary (Betsy Sinnegan) I learned they were having an even better
success rate.

Toopher saved my life twice, once by not letting me go into a rest area ladies
room where a woman was murdered that night, once by insisting I get up even
though I was so overcome by smoke I didn't care if I died. She was a hero. I
hope what we learned from her cancer is helping Clondike.

All fingers and toes crossed for you -
Kathy