Re: [PyrNet-L] Chronic Ear Problems

In a message dated 1/31/99 10:33:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
greatpyrs@home.com writes:

> For the last several months we have had our guys bothered by chronic ear
>  problems, black waxy buildup, secondary infections, etc. We have been to
the
>  vet with several dogs and have been cleaning them with Oti-clens, vinegar
>  water, Panalog ointment, etc. It is usually in one ear or the other, not
>  bilateral, various ears on different dogs. Only on two dogs out of five.
All
>  live in doors with us, only go outside to play. It is the Older dogs (5 and
>  6 years), the younger dogs, 3+ years old don't seem to be affected. It is
>  causing a lot of discomfort and although we have been to the vets
>  repeatedly, they don't seem to be getting any better.

Has the vet done a culture and sensitivity?  If not, you should have this test
done (vet will send it to a lab.) Could be the dogs aren't on the right
antibiotic to kill whatever bacteria is causing the problem.  Could be staph,
strep, and a host of other stuff colonizing in there.

The culture and sensitivity will identify every organism growing in the ear
and list antibiotics each is susceptible to.  Often times, more than one
antibiotic is required; addtionally, both topical and oral treatment of
antibiotics may be required. Pseudamonas (bacteria that now has a new name I
can't remember and probably can't spell any better than the old name) is often
a culprit in chronic ear infections that is also a real toughie to knock down;
not many antibiotics it is sensitive to.  Baytril I believe is one though.  I
had this in a Pyr bitch once and had to use something called Ticarcillin (a
horse antibiotic) in injectible form, but applied topically in the ear, to
knock it out.  It was outrageously expensive, but it worked I must say.

Kelley Hoffman
BasqueLaine Great Pyrenees &
Belgian Shepherds (Tervuren & Groenendael)
Tipp City, OH
kshoffman@aol.com