[PyrNet-L] Re: behavior:rolling over

   I have a question to throw out regarding rolling your dogs over on their
backs. I wonder if some dogs are reacting in a fairly normal way.  Is it
possible that the way they are being rolled onto their backs kind of surprises
them  and maybe they tense and in so doing cause themselves some pain.
Because it is uncomfortable/painful they do not like it???  Could it be these
same dogs if told to lay down and then maybe their belly rubbed a bit and then
they were gently rolled on their back from that position would react totally
differently???  Of course maybe many would not consider that being submissive
though????  I just ask because all my dogs have loved being on their backs and
having their bellies rubbed, but most of them have at one time or another
tensed a bit in the initial act of getting them on their back at one time or
another.  No desperate fight over it really, but definitely tensed and were
not cooperative at all initially for a few seconds. Yet these same dogs
usually roll over fine and love to get their bellies rubbed in that position
and will willingly and eagerly lay that way for an hour or so usually and
really eat up all the lovin'.   I usually assume when the rare tensing happens
that I did the rolling over of them in a way that inadvertently caused them
pain or at least surprised them and they did not know what to expect or what
was expected of them for a few seconds.
Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com
Shelton, Washington