[PyrNet-L] New Owner With Questions

I am new to the list and have a new Pyr puppy.  She will be nine weeks
old tomorrow and we are just delighted to have her.  I do have a few
issues that I think perhaps some more experienced Great Pyrenees owners
may be able to help with.  If so, please e-mail me!

   Have any of you had difficulty finding a vet that knew much
   about your dog? Our's is one of the better clinics in the area and
   they didn't even have the breed in their computer. Then, we
   were told that the double de-claws in the back are a fault in the
   breed and even after we corrected him, he insisted that we must
   be mistaken. He also seemed to have anegative attitude about
   the breed because of their size. I have a few questions which I
   hope some of you can help out with.

   1.) Should we consider having the de-claws removed?

   2.) When using oral treatments for heartworms, does the unique
   metabolism of the Pyr need to be taken into account, or is this
   only necessary for anesthesia?

   3.) Does anyone know whether the training techniques
   applicable to other breeds work well with the Pyrenees? Do you
   feel traditional obedience training for the Pyr is essential or
   optional?

   4.) Has anyone had luck with a specific technique that would
   keep a Pyr puppy from playfully biting hard or from playfully
   pawing (and scratching)?

   I know this is long! Sorry about that. I am hoping to find help
   from fellow owners! Thanks in advance.

   Kris