Re: [PyrNet-L] New Owner With Questions

Kris, Here are some answeers I hope will help. It would also be helpful to
people to know approximately the area in which you live. Perhaps someone
could then recommend another vet with more experience with Pyrs.

1. The double dewclaws on the back are necessary for showing a Pyrenees at
dog shows. Dogs missing the rear dewclaws are faulted. They (in my opinion)
should be left alone. Single dewclaws on the front legs. (although, I have
seen one puppy with doubles on the front legs also!)

2. I've never had to do any adjustments to my oral heartworm preventative.
We've always used the recommended dose for the weight of the dog.

3. As far as training techniques go it depends on the individual dog.
Positive reinforcement methods are always best in my opinion. I've had dogs
that would shut down and refuse to work if harshly corrected corrected for
not doing something properly. Always start with positive reinforcement. Once
you're sure that they understand the command that you're giving a correction
for noncompliance may be necessary. Gentle but firm is best. Remember,
Pyrenees are strong willed and independent. Obeying commands in a prompt
manner does not come naturally to most Pyrenees, be patient. At some point
the pup will interpret the command "Come" to mean "Run as fast as you can in
the opposite direction!" :)

4. As far as the biting goes I've always had great success by spraying my
arms or whatever with Bitter Apple (available in most pet supply stores).
When the puppy bites tell it "NO" in a sharp voice. The combination of the
"NO" command and the bad taste in the pups mouth should help it to catch on
very quickly. Now, for the pawing problem, sigh, when you figure out a way
to make them stop that please let me know. :) We always use the command "NO
PAW!" but inevitably they do it again. Must be a genetic trait. :) :)

Good luck with your puppy and I'm sure you'll get many more suggestions.

Barb Bowes
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep
bamb@monmouth.com