Re(2): [PyrNet-L] Training Collars

I agree, Judith--about the correction on young puppies. We do all positive
reinforcement training for a long time. When Paddington was about a year
and a half, our trainer thought he was ready for some correction, because
he knew what we were asking and sometimes *chose* not to respond!
As regards the pinch collar--it is now our training collar of choice in
most cases, although we took much convincing! I am now persuaded that it's
much easier on the dog than a choke. However, we were also taught how to
use it well--basically so that the dog gives itself the correction. I
never have to do a real correction on Paddington--he doesn't like the
sound the collar makes, and just knowing he has it on is adequate to
ensure his good behavior! Shelley, on the other hand, hated it and had
such thick fur around her neck that she could still pull if she wanted to.
Then she'd turn round and try to "get" the collar that was restricting
her. We haven't even put one on Ivy Rose--she seems too sensitive.
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose