Re: [PyrNet-L] Training Collars

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 klbyrd@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

> I am looking for a suggestion regarding the best training collar for a
> Pyr.  Our trainer is suggesting the pinch collar because we are having a
> hard time getting her attention (she is 10 weeker old) and because the
> fur is so thick around the neck.  I am undecided.  I've never liked the
> pinch collar idea, but what she says makes sense.  Any ideas/opinions
> would be welcomed.

With only one exception I know of, most instructors don't recommend pinch
collars on puppies.  Most instructors opt for flat buckle collars for
puppies rather than a pinch or choke collar.  If you have reservations
about this instructor, look elsewhere.

Ten weeks is quite young for formal obedience.  Puppies at that age don't
have much of an attention span.  They soak everything up quickly but only
in little spurts.  Also, many instructors and clubs around here won't
accept a dog unless it reaches 3-4 months and has proof of shots.  There
are, however, puppy kindergarden classes which teach very basic obedience
and serve primarly for socialization.

Puppies can be great fun to train.  Use a lot of food, play and enjoy
their little antics.

Good luck!

David
  & Dixie, Chowmix (U-CD Dixie Over the Top, CGC)
    & Summer, Great Pyrenees (CH Summerhill Best Dim Sum)

"Life is a journey, not a destination."