Re: [PyrNet-L] Training Collars

On 15 Mar 99, at 21:33, klbyrd@tampabay.rr.com wrote:

>  Our trainer is suggesting the pinch collar because we are having a
> hard time getting her attention (she is 10 weeker old) and because the fur
> is so thick around the neck.  I am undecided.  I've never liked the pinch

Kris,
First, you don't say, are you training at home or taking the 10 week
puppy to training classes?  I would be very careful taking puppy out
if it has not completed it's vaccine series. In our area vets
recommend the full parvo series up to 16-20 weeks before puppies are
taken out in public places.

You can start some attention training at home, works really well in
the kitchen and my favorite place to start basic training with a new
puppy.  The puppy can be standing or sitting, say the puppies name
and then give the puppy your attention command, the minute the puppy
looks you in the eye, give a treat.  Easy to chew soft treats are
best, I use weanies cut in small pieces.  You only give the command
once, every time eye contact is made, wham a treat, real fast and
praise. Start out with very short one minute sessions several times a
day.  Lots of praise and love too. Make it a fun, lively session of
very short duration.  Puppy learns attention and it is fun, I always
give hugs after our sessions and a fun happy release after. As the
puppy matures increase the time of the attention training and expect
more from the puppy.

At 10 weeks *I feel a puppy is too young for any strong corrections
or commands and usually too sensitive. They have just left their
littermates and Mom and are getting used to a new big world.   At 10
weeks I was letting my puppy lead me around, allowing her to explore
and get used to a nylon training collar and lead. Changing direction,
frequently, so puppy would learn to follow and what constraint was
about.

I do not start any formal training with my puppies until they are
about 5 months old, but they have learned, attention, sit, to walk on
lead and no jump by that time, all done at home. In the warmer months
parvo is serious here, so I am careful where I take the pups.

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico