[PyrNet-L] Hot Spot Cures

Kathy,

Every Pyr owner will have their favorite hot spot remedy.  Most topical
treatments work if applied EARLY.  Otherwise you get a staph infection
that usually requires oral antibiotics in addition to topical treatment.

We spray any little itchy places with Gentocin spray, a prescription spray
that combines antibiotic, steroid and alcohol (for drying).  We also give
Atarax, a prescription antihistamin, which virtually eliminates itching in
Clondike.  Some people find Benedryl works as well.

Many topical treatments are touted, most including alcohol which is drying
and germicidal.  I've also heard that Gold Bond powder is very effective.

Each dog responds a little differently, so it requires some patience to
find the right combination for your dog.

Good luck,

David
 David Kintsfather              | PHONE:       (610) 683-4497
 Dept. of Telecommunications    | FAX:         (610) 683-4659
 Kutztown University            | INTERNET:    kintsfat@kutztown.edu
 PO Box 730                     |   "We need not think alike to love alike."
 Kutztown, PA  19530-0730       |                Francis David