Re: [PyrNet-L] [pyrNet-L] Zoe attacked by a GSD

Becky, I really sympathize, and don't know if I have much advice to offer.
I had a similar thing happen with Paddington when he was about a year
old--a large off-leash dog attacked him and had him down before I knew
what was happening. Fortunately the owner was right there and got her dog
off, but Paddy was very upset--kept looking for that dog for a long time
and staying very close to Mom when we walked there. And we have a guy in
our neighborhood who walks two poorly bred and untrained rotweilers--he's
a huge man and controls them by pinch collars and brute force. I try to
walk our dogs in other directions and at times other than those I think we
might encounter them. Or I drive them over to the arboretum (easily within
walking distance!) to avoid his route, which is predictably short--not
enough by half to give the rotties the exercise they need. Like you, I
have some anxiety about walking both dogs, yet I just don't have time to
do it separately. So I try to pick times and locations where I am least
likely to encounter problems.
In terms of your situation, can you really talk to the people about
*never* having the dog unrestrained where it can go after other dogs? Are
there leash laws where you live? It sounds as if the people are
reasonable, so you probably don't want to threaten them, but it might be
worth simply asking them to ensure that you *don't* have to call animal
control by restricting the dog's movement.
Good luck!
Ann, Peg, Paddington and Ivy Rose