Re: [PyrNet-L] size

Jumping in here with a question.  Since a friend has one of the five pups
that I brought home from a breeder, I have had the opportunity to keep an
eye on five of eight pups in a litter.  All of the five have been
neutered/spayed.  The other pup at four mo. my four at 7 mo.  Mine were
raised on Cycle puppy food, till a year, and then switched to Pedigree.
5th. pup was on Pedigree right from the start.  Because we have chickens,
mine will get cooked eggs often, tossed in their meal for flavor ( not
enough to make up any real nutritional difference or calories etc. )

Question, what age does the average Pyr. start heat?  Has anyone else had
different experiences with the age a pup is sterilized vrs. overall size
and bone mass?  I have been trying to follow this because in horses,
geldings are usually larger than stallions in any breed, because once
sexual maturity occurs, bone growth more or less stops ( or slows down in
a major way ).  I think there may be a correlation in dogs, pretty much
the same way, and am trying to see if this might be true.

What I am finding is that with the exception of our male, Ida May, is not
as tall as my largest female, but she weighs in like my male, and has
massive bone structure ( good thing to support the weight ).  With the
exception of Kemo, my smallest at 26", and a diminutive 78 to 80 lbs., my
females are taller than I.M., on a longer finer bone structure, and while
Polar Bear is a really heavy female, she does not look it, she is nicely
proportioned.  Silver is a big rangy female on long legs ( which looks
even worse right now because of chewing her pantaloons off ).

I am now waiting to see how they mature and fill out, since all are 13
mo.  I wonder if I.M. will stop growing sooner, or continue to grow
longer and be a super hugh female.  I don't really expect mine to put on
a lot of bone mass, other than the maturing between a year and two.

This is just a matter of curiosity, having so many in the same litter to
view and keep track of.  How much is just the potential of the individual
pup, compared to nutrition, sterilization,  outside factors.  I.M. is
actually a working dog of her own choice, she never comes in, and chooses
to stand guard over 100 plus P.B. Pigs.  Mine are mostly house dogs.  I'm
having fun with this, so if anyone wants to toss in any observations I
would appreciate it!  Thanks!
Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com