Re: [PyrNet-L] Re: Size

sandybear@intercity.dk writes:

<< Yes I know the UK standard states that the elegance comes from the correct
 head and attractive coat, but I wonder where they have this idea, as I
 don't see anything in the French standard to indicate that this is, what is
 meant by "not avoid of a certain elegance". I think the part about the head
 is correct, but I believes it is also meant to indicate that the pyr most
 never be a heavy dog, but a strongly built dog with a good lenghts of legs.
 Also I wonder about the part about the coat, what about an  unwashed dirty
 coat, is that attractive enough to be called elegant ? Yet that is what is
 mostly seen in French shows, does that mean that the French pyrs are not
 elegant ? And why would the French use the word elegant to indicate
 something that is not normally seen in French shows. The way I see it, the
 most heavily built pyr may have a very attractive coat, but that does not
 make it elegant.  >>

Lene is right about coat.  The French dogs are not rotund but very
substantial dogs with Medium bone.  Sounds like an oxymoron, but when you put
your hands on one you know what I speak.  Pictures give you no clue, because
the elegant somewhat more elongated heads deceive the eye as being less a dog
than is actually there.  We rarely see this in North America now days.  I see
it, I believe, in some of the old pictures of imports.  Look at Ibos de Val
d'Aure, inbred Grandson of of Estat d'Argeles.  Look at Zayda van Euskara and
her father Yel de Langladure from Holland.  Zayda was imported and was one of
the foundation bitchs at Cote de Neige.  Yel was out of Fr Ch. Ariel de Soum,
considered by many as maybe the most perfect bitch in the history of the
breed.   These were very substantial dogs with great elegance and head type.
Long on the leg and medium bone in comparison to their height.  These were
dogs all acclaimed by all who saw them, including Senac-Lagrange, as being
excellent examples of the breed.

Joe