[PyrNet-L] Mary Crane's timeless message (or "More on size")

The following excerpt is taken from The Complete Great Pyrenees,
Strang/Giffin, Howell publishing 1977, page 61, quoted directly as written by
Mary Crane in Chapter 3, Basquaerie Kennels, The Great Pyrenees Comes to
America.

A timeless message, don't you think?

Kelley Hoffman
kshoffman@aol.com

	"Basquaerie is proud of the successes of the breed in America and
believes that a bright future lies ahead IF breeders will put aside personal
and petty jealousies and remain true to the authentic type, breeding for and
rewarding in the show ring ONLY those dogs and bitches which carry correct
Pyrenean type and expression. Think of the head of a polar bear with the ears
falling down; not a Brown Bear--for you want a substantial muzzle, not a
short one. And refer to your club insignia for the correct head!
	I want to take this opportunity right here and now to stress that it
is NOT the nature of Great pyrenees to be overly large, tall, or in any sense
"immense". This choice of translation word to describe the breed in the
original standard was ill-chosen. The breed is a large breed, true, but
neither excessively tall, slab-sided, short-muzzled, droopy jowled, too
narrow or too domed in the head, nor marked with a positive stop or a
round-eye!  They are of a large-medium size when compared with the few
exceedingly tall and large breeds. So, please push far asunder any
misconceptions you may now have concering size.  Let's not breed for ponies!
	I bring this critique up because I have often been asked how the dogs
of today compare in size with those early imports. My reply is that the
average dog and bitch one sees are the same.
	The initial interest in a tall Great Pyrenees came into vogue, I
believe, with Champion K'Eros de Guerveur of Basquaerie, who did make a
striking picture in the ring, and made himself famous by becoming the first
to win Best In Show.  But he was also a dog of correct Pyrenees type, not
carrying the faults I mentioned above, and well deserving of his wins.
However, size has become an obsession in the minds of some people ever
since--but fortunately not in the minds of all! And not in the minds of those
breeders whose interest centers on correctness of type and quality.
	Unfortunately, all too many people are prone to speak out, giving
their own ideas and appraisals to fit their own dogs. But how many who do
this have really seen the dogs in their native land doing their natural
chores? I say again, please don't pioneer for a new cause unless you are sure
of your facts, from actual experience and not just hearsay.
	Basquaerie has indeed had a long and colorful history, full of
accomplishments, success and failures.  We have had our share of happiness
and sorrow, of good times and bad. But life, after all, means taking the
bitter with the sweet. So we wish you all, newcomers to the breed and old
alike, all successes in the years ahead. But PLEASE, one request--do not try
to change the world's most beautiful and wonderful breed. The Great Pyrenees'
delight and charm lie in its being what it is today. Keep it that way. And be
proud of it!"
	-- Mary W.A. Crane, Basquaerie Kennels