Re: [PyrNet-L] Mary Crane's timeless message (or "More on size")

In a message dated 5/9/99 10:55:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kshoffman@aol.com writes:

<<  But how many who do
 this have really seen the dogs in their native land doing their natural
 chores? I say again, please don't pioneer for a new cause unless you are
sure
 of your facts, from actual experience and not just hearsay. >>

Mrs. Crane was certainly right.  Most of us can deduce what she speaks by
looking at the treasure of pictures she left us in her books.  Mrs. Crane was
a larger woman for her day, but certainly not more that 5 feet 10 inches and
probably some shorter.  When you see her visiting the dogs at de Soum, Val
d'Aure, Langladure, and Estat and his brother Estagel whom she imported,  you
know the dogs treasured as the best in France were exactly as she described
them.

Still the fact remains we have diminished the size she spoke of since the mid
and late 1930's.  So the point remains, lets work on size, but not loose all
perspective of what the breed needs to be to be historically correct.

Joe