[PyrNet-L] Home now and "Giant Breed!!"

Thankyou so much for all your lovely messages.I'm a bit of a mess but hope
to be better soon. Hospitals don't like keeping small people they've given
infectious bugs to!!
Saw your posting Carol re Giant Breeds and the Battle of the Giants. This
Match started around 1981 with Saints,Newfs,Pyrs, and was/is a social thing.
Back then Pyreneans were actually bigger, heavier and had more bone than the
other two Breeds. The Newfs looked like Flatcoated retrievers and the Saints
were not as tall as those Pyrs and had lots of health problems. This Match
was set up by the North Island Assn who chose the name.Today they also have
the Bernese and the Great Danes so a real mixture of Breeds. I also
remembered why I used the article by Mary Crane re size many years ago in
one of our Newsletters. We had club members with a young male Pyr and it was
huge with massive bone(also had OCD in both shoulders). The owners had this
annoying habit of "measuring" the Pyr against other male Pyrs when we were
at shows or gatherings to see how much bigger he was!! A few growling
sessions took place and they were asked not to bring their Pyr up to other
male Pyrs.They had a real thing about having the "biggest" Pyrenean even
though the poor dog was very lame even after surgery. Biggest isn't always
best in some cases.
Best wishes

Jan Chaplin Ariege-Roussillon Pyreneans
visit PMDC Site at http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Zoo/6339/