Re: [PyrNet-L] Size, semantics and the Breed

In a message dated 5/10/99 1:15:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
carol@NaturalDogFood.com writes:

<< But in truth, the difference between a 27" male and a 32" male
 with good proportion is immense (pardon the choice of words). >>

This I don't follow.  Both heights are correct.  All things being equal the
larger dog is preferred.  The operative words are "All things being equal,"
which they never are.

<<And as far as a credible source - how about Edith Smith. In that
old book "How to Raise and Train Great Pyrenees" that we used to
give to our puppy purchasers, she writes on pg 40:

	"As in the case of most Giant Breeds, litters
	are large in number of puppies produced, and small in
	size of puppies at birth.">>

Glad to see the quote and to know that we can all agree upon what Edith Smith
says. I think it good to note that Edith Smith did believe in the breed being
large, lest someone mistakenly get the notion from our prior posts that they
maybe bred small incorrect dogs and were successful via politics, etc.  I am
sure that is not what was intended.  So this clarification I think is proper
and justified.

Joe