Re: [PyrNet-L] rescue dogs (was Greetings again!)

In a message dated 5/17/99 12:05:52 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
vanwey6@bitterroot.net writes:

<< We also have not
 ruled out a rescue dog. I would love to hear feedback from those of you
 that could offer advice from actual experience in this. Are rescue dogs
 well-suited to adapt to life with a new family of children and possibly
 other dogs?  >>

   I have had 30-something rescue dogs throughout the years.  It just depends
on the individual dogs.  I seem to just have a good sense for picking out
rescue dogs, or allowing myself to picked out by rescue dogs!  There have
been a few that I decided were not the right fit for our family before I
picked them out. In 35 years I have only picked out one that was not a good
fit after coming to our home. That was because she  (Brittany - a Brittany
Spaniel) was a determined escape artist who could climb/jump an 8-foot fence
with ease in seconds.  She would run a long ways from home each time and our
young child would try to follow her.  After one terrifying day when they were
gone for hours and found many miles from our home in the wilderness, by our
Newf, who we finally let go to find them when we couldn't find them (silly us
had only gone as far as two miles away!)  (Our Newf had saved our child's
life 2 times before and we trusted him a lot!)  When we found them the Newf
had Brittany sitting nicely and every time she thought about getting up he
growled a growl to be taken seriously.  Our child was hugging the Newf's neck
and being licked by the Newf. I decided enough was enough.  We found her a
new home with no young kids and she became an inside dog there.
   Every rescue we have ever had was a sweet, affectionate, loving dog.  The
kind that make you wonder who could have not wanted them.  Had two that had
been abused severely by a real psychotic individual who abused his wife and
kids, too, until they left home.  He had even shot one of the dogs!  And he
beat them with shovels regularly.  We took them both and they were the
sweetest dogs!!  Took a while before we could hold a shovel without them
slicking off with their tails between their legs in fear, but after a few
months they were fine.  These were the Newfs. They were sweet and good with
us and our children from the moment we met them, even though they'd been
severely abused.  Of course they had also been left abandoned for 2 weeks,
too, after the owner committed suicide. (Neighbour contacted the wife who had
ran away with her kids to live with her brother. She said her brother would
take them up in the Olympics in the wilderness and dump them!! Neighbour said
she'd find a good home for them.) They melted our hearts enough to take both
of them within about 2 seconds!!
   Now there have been a few dogs that I did not feel were right matches for
us. I always take all my family to meet the prospective dog(s).  I also like
my other dogs to meet the dog first, too. And I ask if they get along with
cats. And I trust my gut instincts. I always feel when it is right I'll know
it.  (We probably would've kept Brittany if my son were about four years
older at the time, too.)

:)  &  :)```   (me grinning & Albert grinning & drooling!)

See Albert's photo at:
http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/pyr-l/pyrlpix3.htm#Albert

Janice Vocke
MagEBroD@aol.com