[PyrNet-L] Re: rescue dogs

In a message dated 5/18/99 8:51:47 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pyrnet-l-owner@pyrnet.org writes:

<< << We also have not
  ruled out a rescue dog. I would love to hear feedback from those of you
  that could offer advice from actual experience in this. Are rescue dogs
  well-suited to adapt to life with a new family of children and possibly
  other dogs?  >> >>

I second the opnion that it just depends on the dog at the time he/she is
being rescued.  I have two who would be wonderful with kids, although they
ended up with a childless couple.  But that is not necessarily true of all
dogs.  It further depends on how much time the adults in the household are
willing to train/accustomize the dog.  If they are willing to spend alot of
time with the dog doing the "alpha dog routine" and basic obedience training,
an adolescent male may work out.  If not, then he may not, although if was
older and had calmed down, he might be.   I would always check out and make
visits to the prospective rescue dog  -- multiple if necessary -- to
determine if he is right for your needs.  We brought our first dog to meet
our second rescue dog before adopting him and it was instant compatibility so
that was it.  But if I had any questions, I would make multiple visits with
everyone involved to be sure -- dogs included.  It's sad when an inadvertant
mistake is made and the dog ends up back in rescue because the adoptees
didn't quite do their homework on that particular dog.  It's terrific when an
adoption match works, and can work quicker than "puppy bonding" without all
the mess!  So you just have to try and see.  There is no universal answer,
although I can say that there are dogs that end up in rescue that would be
perfect.  You just have to match up with them.

Elisa
Sacramento