Re: [PyrNet-L] Sad Story of Poor Fat Pyr

On 25 May 99, at 23:17, D3melza@aol.com wrote:

>  Did I do the right thing? I have never confronted an owner about
> dog before and I don't really feel it is my place to do so. But this was
> such obvious stupidity and neglect! The only saving grace for this dog,
> and all Pyrs was that he was neutered, thank god. But I don't think I will
> ever forget him. I hope he'll be okay.

I got a call last week about a pyr in trouble hanging out at one of
our shopping centers.  Turned out I knew who the owners were, but had
not seen the dog up close in several years.  I had the dog about 30
hours before the owners returned.

Yes, he was overweight, ungroomed and probably has HD.  When the
owner finally called me, I just said I am really concerned about your
dog and I have some information brochures for you.  When she arrived
to get the dog, we talked about weight, feeding, grooming, the why's
and do's and don't's of caring for a pyr.  I also suggested getting
his hips checked and why it was important to keep his weight down.

The owner seemed receptive to what I shared with her, just hope she
follows through.  But most importantly I shared why containment and
fencing are so crucial and how her dog would end up injured or dead
sooner or later if she continued to allow him to roam.  She left with
her dog,< who in 30 hours had been half brushed out> who also was
extremely happy to see her and a handful of GPCA brochures on care,
feeding, grooming and "Is this breed for you".

Many times owners have no idea how to care for a pyr, especially if
they receive no breeder support.  All we can do is offer information
and hope it's accepted in the manner presented.  I now carry several
info packets in my car, never know when I will need them.

The hardest thing I've had to learn is to contain my temper and offer
the information in a kind and sharing way.  After all it's the dog
that might benefit.  When I get home to my babies, I hug them all and
tell them what lucky pyrs they are!

Judith
jsmiller@newmex.com
Taos, New Mexico