Re: [PyrNet-L] Health discussion

Jan:

Dwarfism is a simple recessive, and both the bitch and the sire must be
carriers in order for dwarfs to be produced. I don't know that there's
firm data on the health of dwarfs. Many seem to be relatively healthy,
but there are others that suffer ill effects and die early. Peggy Watson
of the GPCA is in the process of trying to gather information on the
overall health of dwarfs. The only major health issue I'm aware of is
deafness/hearing problems. Many dwarfs seem to have problems in this
regard.

Dwarfism is neither particulary common nor particulary rare in U.S.
Pyrs. I believe estimates are that approximately 15-20 pct. of U.S. Pyrs
are carriers. As far as I know, this problem has not been reported in
Pyrs in other countries.

The GPCA is currently working with researchers in an attempt to find the
marker for the recessive gene. If this research succeeds, this genetic
problem could be greatly reduced in the breed in a relatively short
time.

<< Can a dwarf puppy be detected
> very early on in a litter say around 2 weeks?>>

I think this varies too, depending on the experience of the breeder and
the severity of affliction. I know one breeder who produced a dwarf and
she said she knew immediately that something was wrong. In another case
I know of, the dwarf pup appeared ``normal,'' and it wasn't until she
started to lag way behind her littermates, say around 6-7 weeks, that it
became apparent. Fortunately, the breeder suspected there might be
something wrong and held her back from sale. She could have just passed
as a "runt.''

Darrell Goolsbee
Fort Worth, TX