Re: [PyrNet-L] Health: Care: Epilepsy

I agree with much of what Carol says, especially not to delay some form of
intervention.  Carol spoke of mirroring and the fact that the more seizures
a dog has the more likely the seizures are to increase in number and in
severity. I also agree with looking into possible holistic or alternative
treatments. (acupuncture has shown great promise in some dogs).

I also encourage you to try to identify possible causes or at least
triggers.  But,  I also caution you not to drive yourself crazy trying to
figure out what you may have done or not done, or fed or not fed, etc. etc..
Realistically the diagnosis of Epilepsy is made when no other reason for
seizures can be identified.  ie: Thyroid disease, Brain injury, Chemical
imbalances, Poisoning, Allergic reactions, etc.  When our Pyr had his first
few seizure we tried literally everything we could think of, changed food,
had our water checked, prepared his food from scratch, fed him special
vitamins, avoided any cleaning supplies that were not natural,  monitored
his every move,  recorded the weather, the full moons, even solar flairs.  I
spent hours researching Canine Epilepsy and basically drove myself crazy
trying to figure out what else I could do.  We put him on Phenobarbitol, he
continued to have cluster seizures, the dosage was increased and nothing
changed.  Then we tried the Pheno and Potassium Bromide?? still no
significant change.  In hindsight I wish we had started him on Pheno sooner
but truthfully I doubt it would have mattered.  His epilepsy was Genetic and
uncontrollable we lost him almost 2 years ago now and I still find writing
this difficult.

Please, don't be discouraged by this, but don't sit back and take a wait and
see approach either. Most dogs that have Epilepsy can be controlled by
traditional, holistic or alternative medicines.   Do not be afraid of
Phenobarbitol,  although most dogs are generally lethargic and dopey at
first they quickly adjust to the medication and return to normal within a
week or two.  The most likely side effect is increased appetite and thirst.
The risks of liver damage from Phenobarbitol can also be minimized by
regular monitoring,  if the Pheno is kept in the therapeutic range epileptic
dogs can often live to a ripe old age.  If the seizures are controlled,
they can sometimes be weaned slowly off of Pheno.  So,  Pheno doesn't have
to be for life, although it normally is.

Char