Re: [PyrNet-L] French show pix up!

In a message dated 6/1/99 9:11:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pyreau@erols.com
writes:

<< So, I was
 surprised that Gardayan and Estom do not have that type of head.  Joan,
 Joe can you comment on this?  Do you think that the French judges
 consider Gardayan or the dogs in #2 and #3 pictures to be more correct?
 Do the dogs in #2 & #3 pictures have enough fill under the eyes? >>

I think I know where Charlotte is coming from.  I have had the same problem
over the years.  Here is what I think.  I think that Comte de Foix developed
the certain characteristics of the head piece sometime to extreme and it was
admired by some of import.  The group of Comte de Foix bitch's that is
frequently published being a case in point.  Not wrong, but to the extreme's.
 Because Comte de Foix was "THE" breeder for about 40 years most tried to
emulate their success.  Also they were referenced world wide as the best.  I
do not disagree, but feel that they went to the extreme many times.  They got
their initial breeding stock from the scattered remnants of de Soum and was
advised by Senac-Lagrange, a primary advisor and collaborator of de Soum.  I
am confident t that the Comte de Foix gene pool comes from the exact same
source as Estat, Langladure, Val d'Aure, and de Soum i.e. from de Soum.  So
we should not be surprised to find that Estom and Gardayan look like some of
our really good North American dogs, even some 20 to 25 generations later
(actually it is heartening).

The brothers are quite young.  I can promise you at 4 to 5 years you will not
question the fill.  The one brother Neon has very small, and slanted eyes.
Very appealing but again to the extreme.  Everyone knows the other brother
will in the end be much the better.

<< I have been confused watching M. Mansecal judge because he has
not seemed to like those heads that I think he should like. >>

To me he defied almost all I thought I knew about him last time he was here
in Maryland.  I try to forget this as I have to think maybe it was not
typical and I think he may have said as much afterward when he said he tried
to judge by "American Standards", or what he believed it was or someone told
him it was.  I do not speak of the Standard for the breed here, but more
generally.  So I was confused as well after this observation.

Joe