Re: [PyrNet-L] Dwarfs

In a message dated 6/5/99 9:10:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time, bamb@monmouth.com
writes:

<< with possible carriers in the numbers we are talking about,
 and breeders declaring "It's not in my bloodline", >>

I think that anyone who says this is either foolish, or not being factual.
At this point in time we all (at least here in North America) have a
potential.  I shudder to see how we (Maryann and I ) have "danced around the
flame" for years.  In fact, from what I now I am surprised that we never saw
a Dwarf here.  Maybe what they are saying is what I am saying i.e., "we have
not seen it here".  I have had two conversations  in the last year with very
good people who are really top breeders for years.  They suddenly had a
problem and were devastated.  One of them said, I we have it, you (meaning
all of us) could/may have it as well.  We have to start somewhere and the
obvious to me is to eliminate the known carriers and any siblings or
offspring used very carefully and then followed for generations to see what
they do.

A really good question is why cannot we get the few known dogs to include
into the study that would identify the genetic markers.  It is not that many
that are required.  The study will be done for free, all we have to do is
supply the study individuals.  Something is not right here.

Joe