Re: [PyrNet-L] The perfect Pyr

Chris, interestingly enough, the best dog may very well be the one in
some ones back yard.  We started showing the Mastiffs because a gal who
showed Dobies, and worked in our Vets office, commented that our pet
quality bitch, bought from no one in particular, was amazingly well put
together and attractive for a Mastiff.  She slowly won us over to the
idea of showing.  There are beautiful dogs that stand in yards all the
time, who never see a ring!  I have always felt that breeders need to be
careful not to become too  full of themselves!

By the same token, judges are supposed to go by the breed standard.  If
you have been following this list lately you will know that even though
we all read the standard, we all interpret what it says differently.
Judges are like that.  Many breeders will show only under certain judges
because they know that those judges like their type of dog.  Those people
can be a real pain when it comes to getting enough points to finish a
dog!  Some times it boils down to something as simple as coat colors or
patterns ( all white Pyrs./ Pyrs. with markings? ) all may be accepted as
part of the breed, but some judges will put up one over another.  Frankly
it is generally accepted that there is no perfect dog in any breed, and
it is the fun of striving toward that goal.  Of course, there are people
who are quite sure that they are the only ones raising perfect dogs ( I
mean that beyond that we  all love our guys and think they are special ).

Get a book with the AKC standards and read them through several times
while you study your dog.  Go to a show, look at as many as you can.  See
how he compares, see how  he stacks up with your image of the breed as
described by the standards.  Listen to the people, some will be very nice
and helpful, others will want you to believe your dog can't make it
unless it looks just like theirs, and that isn't always true.  Get books
on showing, a lot of areas have conformation classes ( and they can be a
lot of fun with the right gang ), and when your ready give it a try!
Don't give up right away either, get an idea of how Cid will do under
several different judges.  In any case, it is a wonderful world, where
you can meet some super people ( you will weed out the negative ones soon
enough ), and have a really good time!  Hope this helps some?  Cindy.

Also, remember, everyone starts somewhere, if you do show, don't listen
to those who would be negative.  Truth is, they need Cid for points, they
should at least be polite!

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas