Re: [PyrNet-L] Dan and Cody

Never had  a dog kill a cat is this common ? and if so could dog be
dangerous to
>people as will since it kills ? always thought once they get the taste of
blood
>from a kill they would be a danger to all around them.
>Dan R.

What we are talking about when a dog kills a cat etc is a strong prey
drive - a very natural instinct for a dog, and for some dogs (and some dog
breeds) more than others.  The basic principle is, if a dog sees an animal
(rabbit, cat, mouse etc) and it runs, their prey drive (natural hunting
instincts) kicks in and they give chase.  And yes, sometimes they will catch
and kill.  Some 'prey' animals have adapted to this predator (yes, a dog is
a predator) instinct by 'freezing' rather than running in the hope that they
might not be seen.  Dogs are much better at seeing moving objects than they
are at seeing stationary ones.  Man has adapted this prey drive in dogs for
many purposes.  Terriers are used to catch rats and other vermin, hounds
are/have been used for hunting.  Quite a few dogs (household pets of various
shapes and sizes) I know here have hunted and caught rabbits while on walks
in the local reserves (rabbits are vermin here).  My own dogs have caught
small birds or mice on occasion.  While the idea might be unpleasant, and we
generally try to avoid it happening, it is a fact that it is a natural
instinct in the dog to hunt.  Tasting blood does not make a dog dangerous.
If put in the same situation again however, their is a very strong
likelihood that the same thing will occur.  But this is probably more
beacuse that dog has a fairly strong prey drive in the first place rather
that any result of it having killed previously.

The only thing I would say is that with all dogs we should be aware of this
natural prey drive and adapt our reactions (and our precautions with other
animals) accordingly.  Teach children not to run and scream around dogs
(sounds and looks an awful lot like a squealing piglet!!), and if confronted
by a dog you are not sure of, don't run.  Stand very still  and dont look it
in the eyes.  More than likely it will go away.

I would love to have a cat.  I know my Pyrs would adapt quite well to having
one around (even though they 'see off' the feline intruders from the
property across the road - in this case it is more guard instinct that prey
drive though).  But my Dally has a very strong prey drive and I would not
like to trust her with a small fluffy animal that is likely to run.  Perhaps
if I had introduced her to cats when she was a puppy all would be fine - but
I feel I have left it far too late now.  Every dog I have owned before this
has been raised with and lived very happily with cats.