Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyr size

At the risk of getting totally flamed here, I wish to throw out another
topic for discussion.  Since we have all been discussing size I am
curious as to how all of you perceive what Pyrs. do ( in regards to their
size ) that is different from other large to giant breeds, and the
outside limit of their size and their ability to do their jobs.
Structurally sighthounds are much different, but they can obtain
substantial size, and weight while still remaining on the light side for
their height.  They run an animal down and dispatch it, but  they ( say,
an I. W., may end up actually fighting it to kill it ).  How do you see
size and weight relative to the fact that all of these breeds actually do
cross the line and serve other functions from time to time?

This is a general type topic, I am not agueing any point, so this need
not be directed at me as though I was trying to be obtuse.  I fully
understand the different structures of the really large breeds, and their
original purposes.  I also know that they serve in a wider range of
service than we often give them credit for.  But the standards keep
saying that the dog may not do it's best at it's outside limit, and yet
we have another dog that is bigger and heavier and can still do the job.
This is also not about Pyrs. specifically, but in their capacity as
guards.  An Akbash or Anatolians minimums are two inches larger, so some
might actually end up larger than a Pyr., but they still do the same job.
 Anyone getting my drift at what I am getting at here?  I'm curious in a
general way as to how we all get wrapped up in the largest of our breeds
not being well put together?

I too do not see a 39" Pyr., but then I don't see much else at 39"
either.  We hear of I.W.'s at that size, but as Jan say's, are they
measuring behind the ears?

I will be out all afternoon, so I won't get back on this for awhile, but
I put it out for something to talk about.  :-)   Cindy

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas

in the dog."  ~ Franz Kafka