Re: [PyrNet-L] size

Actually Barb I very much agree with you.  But in the past discussions on
size, everyone seems to rule out large size, even if they are
structurally strong.  Almost saying that they can't be sound at their
upper limits?  Also, everyone seems to say that the Pyrs. are larger in
France and europe than here, yet keep saying that our standard here is
absolutely correct, like there is some awful taboo in questioning it or
comparing it to other places?  Also, do those Pyrs. really have heavier
bone structure, or just the appearance of bone mass due to more hair (
feathering too ) on their legs?  I do agree with you on bone types and
strengths.

Tracy,  there is differences in the size of sheep, of course, but some of
them are actually quite large and could easily accommodate quite large
dogs in their flock.  I would have thought that Australia would actually
have more of the large normal size sheep than we do here?  In our area of
Texas we have a lot of the smaller, Angora types.  Of course the Pyrs.,
Anatolians, Akbash, and some Merema are on duty here.

Jan, there is not enough of them here to give me a good idea, but overall
I find the Akbash and Anatolians to have a rangier leggier lighter look
than the Pyrs.  But can be large, heavier dogs at their top end, (
although very similar in many respects ) and I understand from their
standards that they have several coat types, although  the long coats
would probably not be as heavy as the Pyrs.  Can anyone shed more light
on this?  Cindy.

Cindy Henke
clhenke@juno.com
Ennis, Texas