Re: [PyrNet-L] size

>Tracy,  there is differences in the size of sheep, of course, but some of
>them are actually quite large and could easily accommodate quite large
>dogs in their flock.  I would have thought that Australia would actually
>have more of the large normal size sheep than we do here?  In our area of
>Texas we have a lot of the smaller, Angora types.  Of course the Pyrs.,
>Anatolians, Akbash, and some Merema are on duty here.
>Cindy Henke

As I was writing the bit about the sheep, I was actually thinking, 'but
maybe other people don't have big sheep like we do?!' :-D  (Australia does
have the 'Big Sheep' too! and the Big Pineapple, and the Big Banana, and the
BIG Cow, and many more - all tourist attractions!!! LOL!!)

I was thinking that a large (withinin the standard) Pyr actually fitted in
quite well with a flock size wise.  Bigger than the sheep, but not 'too
big' - not like a draught horse standing in the middle of a herd of ponies
if you see what I mean!!! :-) I guess I was referring to the fact that if we
grew the dogs 'too' large (39inches?), even if they were proportionately
correct, they would perhaps be not be quite as well suited to their job for
which, to my mind, they are designed perfectly.  A Great Dane or Irish
Wolfhound, however, perhaps need the height and extra leg length as well as
the weight to do the jobs they were designed to do. Now, if a Pyr was
originally bred to guard cattle...... :-D

Maremmas tend to be used much much more as LGD's here in Australia.  They
promoted them a lot more than the Pyr people in the beginning I think.  I am
not sure if ultimately this promotion is going to be to their detriment
though.  More people have heard about them than the Pyrs, and as a result
they are turning up a lot more often as backyard pets (often with people who
really don't know much about the breed they are buying).  There were even
Maremma puppies advertised this weekend by a local pet shop - something that
is usually unheard of.  This is starting to worry me - there could be big
problems for this breed down the line if it starts to get too popular (have
the same problem with Malamutes here at the moment).  Luckily Prs are not as
well known.  I can only hope they stay that way!

Tracy Bassett
espinay@dynamite.com.au
Canberra, Australia