Re: [PyrNet-L] size

Cindy, Years ago the breeders bred down the Pyrs in size to bring in
soundness. Mostly soundness in the hips but there were other
orthopedic problems as well. They have done a pretty good job of it
and are now trying to bring back larger size while keeping the
soundness. Someone once told me it is easier to breed a sounder,
better moving smallish Pyr than it is to breed a sound, better moving
large Pyr. From what I've seen over the last ten years this seems to
be basically true. I have seen some very tall Pyrs that were sound and
had very balanced movement but they were few and far between. Part of
the problem may be that we in the northeast are not used to seeing the
taller dogs and not used to the way they move. They seem to have a
somewhat rangier way of moving as one might suspect given the extra
length of leg. I'm not just talking about the Northeast as I have seen
a lot of smaller Pyrs in other areas as well, but not enough of them
to know whether or not this smaller size is common to their respective
area of the country.

Barb Bowes, NJ down at the shore!
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep
bamb@monmouth.com