Re: [PyrNet-L] size

That limited gene pool way back could not be helped, however, as the
breed had almost died out in it's native country. I'm sure Joe could
probably tell you the name of the person(s) who saved the breed from
extinction but the info is not readily available from my memory. I'm
sure we could all trace our pedigrees back just as far, so in reality,
all our dogs are related to each other way back there. The question
Cindy asked was about the gene pool in this country which was
certainly not as limited as one might think.
I still think that people who are just starting to breed should
consult their breeders and certainly others within the breed. I have
talked to several "new" breeders that have done their homework and
know what they are dealing with. These, however, are not the ones who
need advice on health problems within the breed or who to breed to for
the most part. I have a personal relationship with very few breeders.
The ones that I know for sure who would be totally honest I could
count on the fingers of one hand. I'm not saying that the others would
not be honest, just that I do not "know" them personally and cannot
make the statement whether they would or would not! If I had listened
to the advice of all the people who I came in contact with over the
years I would be a babbling idiot. (perhaps some think I am <vbg>)
People have their own agendas when it comes to dogs or anything else.
I have heard people trash another's bloodline more times than I can
count and then turn around and breed to their dogs. I still feel that
the best way to be diplomatic when someone asks who to breed to is to
send them back to their own breeder for advice and guidance. If their
own breeder is not honest with them I can't help that. For instance,
when I was at the National in Chicago, I had a friend come up to me
with their bitch and ask me what I thought of her and did I have an
opinion on who she should breed to. I told her both the good points
and bad points about her bitch, reiterated that these were only my
opinions, gave her my choices for stud dogs who were dogs that I knew
personally. At the end of the conversation I told her most importantly
to consult with her own breeder as he certainly knew his bloodlines
better than anyone. Imagine my surprise when I turned around to find
he had been standing right behind me the whole time! He thanked me for
my candor on the strong and weak points of the bitch, agreed for the
most part of my assessment of her and later that same day came to me
privately to thank me for telling her most of all to consult with him
before breeding. I had only met this man once before so did not have a
personal knowledge of either him or his dogs. I'm glad that I had said
what I did as it was well received by both him and my friend and
hopefully I have made a new friend in the Pyr world.

Barb Bowes, NJ down at the shore!
Bo, Molly, Chelsea & Flopsy the Pyr Shep
bamb@monmouth.com