RE: [PyrNet-L] size

<<The size designation, aside from the basic fact that the breed
historically is not a "giant" breed, is encouraging the too big and heavy
dog that will get the breed in some difficulty in all these areas previously
mentioned. >>

Joe, I am new to the breed and I don't plan to become a breeder. I am
interested in your statement that historically Pyrs are not a "giant" breed.
I was not aware of this. Since I purchased Montana from a family that breeds
rarely and for the purpose of producing livestock guardians, I am very
interested in how Montana would compare to the dogs shown both in the US and
in foreign countries. He is about 29 to 30 inches, I'm not too sure where to
measure.. <VBG> I know he does not meet all the standards, for example he
has a few spots where there is no black pigment on his lips, and his eyes
appear to be a little loose at times. But both of his parents are large dogs
and are very sound. If I know what you mean by "sound".  Montana is only
about 16 months old so I don't have any idea how he will finish. I could
e-mail a picture if you would be interested in seeing him. I know he's the
"Best Pyr" in my heart!

Marci Gruhlkey