Re: [PyrNet-L] gene pool size (was size)

In a message dated 6/15/99 1:05:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Kshoffman@AOL.COM writes:

<< I'm aware, Joe, that you have a fairly extensive CompuPed database of Pyrs
 and vast historical knowledge of the breed, so I'm wondering if perhaps you
 can give an accurate statistic or make a fairly educated guess as to the
 *actual* number of unique founders the breed population in this country was
 established from? >>

I can now give you some objective data, although not fully complete
illustrative of what I said earlier.

For some reason I have only identified 54 of Mrs. Cranes original imports in
my data base, so I am missing about 10.  Of the 54, 31 dogs  (and bitches)
were bred and produced puppies that I have identified.  Chances are strong
that there will be some get producers in the 10 I do not have and there is
every likely hood that I would have missed a get here and there, especially
if the litter never resulted in a Champion or never went on in subsequent
generation to produce champions.

This is factual data.  The list of dogs is quite diverse and runs the gambit
in Europe.  I did not include any importation's from England and If I did
this would increase the number slightly.

Joe