Re: [PyrNet-L] Question:

The commands that Margo does now are heel, sit, down, leave it, drop it,
off, and short and long stays.  Her next training class will focus on
proofing those commands with distractions such as when you are out for a
walk and a kid goes by on a bike.  She is an angel unless another dog
approaches that is not well-behaved.  She takes cues form the
approaching dog.  If they stay in heel, so does she, and if they start
jumping barking or jumping, we have our hands full!  She listens very
well for her age and it sure beats running around yelling "No" all day
long!  Check on the GPCA web site and find out what affiliate clubs are
listed and see if any are for your area.  If not, contact the closest
one and ask if they know of any non-affiliated clubs in your area.  Our
club here is non-affiliated, but is working on getting affiliated.
There are larger regional clubs, in any case, and you will fall into one
of those areas for sure, I would think.  Beginning training classes will
startwith the most used commands first and other if you stick with it
longer for other purposes.  For example, the average dog has no use for
a figure 8 command, but if you are going for competition, your dog will
have to learn it, but not in the beginning!

Kris Byrd