[PyrNet-L] Water Consumption Problem

Hi,
I meant to respond to this when you first posted but didn't want to deter
you from taking your puppy to the vet.    I did hear once about a puppy
that did exactly what your puppy is doing.   The owners had to slow down
his drinking by giving him small amounts of water, waiting a few seconds
and giving him more small amounts of water.   This was repeated until he
was no longer thirsty and he was satisfied that he'd drunk enough.
Eventually, as he got older they no longer had to do this and he no longer
had this problem--it seemed to take care of itself as he matured.
Basically, he simply drank too much water too fast and would vomit it back
up.    I cannot remember who's puppy this was nor from whom/where I heard
of it.    It was quite awhile ago.  If I remember correctly, the vet found
nothing medically wrong with him.   I'm also pretty sure it was a male
puppy, too.    He was simply too enthusiastic in his water consumption.
This is the only other time I heard of a puppy having the same problem your
puppy is having.    But, I still think you should take your puppy to a vet
and rule out that there isn't a medical problem.   What I never asked was
thought about later, was if the puppy's water might also have been
extremely cold and that contributed to the regurgitating.   I once let 2 of
my Pyrs eat alot of ice cubes on a hot day.   The loved the ice cubes and
couldn't get enough of them.   Well shortly after consuming a couple of
trays of cubes, they vomited the water/cubes.    After that they never
would eat ice cubes again but they did like to play with the ice cubes.
In this case both my Pyrs and I were too enthusiastic with the ice cubes.
I hope your puppy is only drinking his water too fast and that you don't
have an underlying medical problem.    Please let us know how your visit
with your vet goes regarding this difficulty your puppy is having.   Of
course, if you've already done this (just got online and haven't read my
mail yet), just ignore the request, I've got 100 emails to start reading!
Good luck,
Jean Fontaine-Vereb
Pyrstar Kennel
Northwestern PA.