Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyreness

Hi Tony,

Congrats on the new pyr - how any breeder could just "dump" the unsold litter
at the humane society is beyond me!  I don't know where you're located, but
if you are near the Greenville, SC area, we'll be glad to help with their
rescue.

Now, regarding your questions.  All of our dogs have come from different back
grounds, but generally they are all treated the same.  First kindness, and
consistant but firm discipline.  We never hit our dogs, but I will scold them
when they have been naughty.  Also, make sure you have consistant rules....it
is NOT ok to help yourself to food from the table - all the time!
Consistancy is one of the keys.

You mentioned suggested books.  A couple that come to mind are:

The New Complete Great Pyrenees - Paul Strang.  "The American Bible for
pyrs".  Gives great detail on the history of the breed both in the US and
around the world.  Also coveres the standard, health care, etc.

The Pyrenean Mountain Dog - John Gordon.  Excellent British book - similar in
format as Strang's, but goes more into the health care, feeding, and general
maintenance.  Unfortunately no longer in print.  But can be found via email.
If you're interested, I have the woman's email address - let me know if you
want it.

The Pyrenean Mountain Dog - A Foyes Handbook.  A small handbook written in
co-operation with the Pyrenean Mountain Dog Club of Great Britain.  Again, no
longer in print.  Has sections on housing, training, as well as general care.

How to Raise and Train a Great Pyrenees - Edith K. Smith.  This does just
what the title says.  Super little book that works with the basics.  And
again, no longer in print, but I happen to have an extra copy.

One other thing - check out eBay, the on-line auction.  I have found several
of the out of print books through this means.

Good luck with your new pup!  Robyn, with Baron, Kes, Tanuki and Zoe - the
four big white fluffies