Re: [PyrNet-L] Pyreness - crate training

In a message dated 6/16/99 2:45:10 PM EST, tleopold2@plantnet.com writes:

<< uestion: I purchased a metal "crate" for Kane for the purposes of "crate
training" him, at least for now, until he's house broken and all. Anyone else
been through this? What should I expect?

This is one of the best decisions you can make with any dog.  All four of our
pyrs are crate trained.  We have one large crate set up in our sun room at
all times.  At night, Zoe stays in it, and during the day, either she or
Baron will go in it - the door will be wide open, but they like hanging out
in it.

With our guys, we would put them in it after taking them out for the last
time in the evening.  During the night, if they would start to whimper, we'd
take them outside and let them go to the bathroom - then put them back in the
crate.  Usually young dogs can't make it through the night without going to
the bathroom.  However, it didn't take too long for them to be able to last
the night.

One other thing that is important is getting the dog use to going to the
bathroom while on the lead.  Sounds stupid, but believe me, it's the best
training we've done!  We didn't do this with our first female, and now if we
go anywhere with her, we have to be able to find an open place where we can
safely let her off the lead.  Otherwise, she may "hold it" for 2 days!  All
our others are leash trained, and it's wonderful.

Regards, Robyn