[PyrNet-L] Dew Claws

I just want to say ditto to what everyone else had said about the dew
claws.  When we got our puppy 4 months ago, we took her to our regular
vet and he not only told us to remove the dew claws but said they were a
fault!  I immediately began a search for a vet that was knowledgeable
about the breed because a warning light went on when he insisted the
double back dew claws were a fault.  As to remove them or not, I decided
to find a vet that was more knowlegeable about the breed and ask them.
We did get a referral from a Pyr owner and are thrilled with them.  She
is being spayed in 9 days and I have no qualms about the doctor's
ability to treat my Pyr with special care and to be knowledgeable about
what a Pyr needs in terms of anesthesia.  It is about 4 times farther to
the new vet, but worth every mile.  About the dew claws, he said that he
would remove them for me if I insisted, but suggested leaving them
alone.  He said they tear on rare occasion and if that happened I could
make the decision then, but that most Pyrs go through their whole life
without incident as long as they are kept clipped.

Kris