Re: [PyrNet-L] Eyes & Dew claws

Merrilie wrote:

We just came back from the vet and he said that Sam's eyes have the bottom lid that turns inward, creating an irritation (a genetic defect- wanted to know if we wanted to return puppy-- NO WAY!)

Hi again,

    regarding the genetic condition - check your purchase papers regarding health issues.  Our Bichon, Mischief, had a luxating patella (slipping kneecap) and we were able to go back to the breeder and get our breed price back because of the defect and the way that the Minnesota Puppy Lemon Law is written.  There should be something on the purxchase papers that deals with this.  Regarding dewclaws - we were told not to remove Bear's as they are part of the breed standard and should remain for the sake of integrity of the breed.  We were also told that they would require weekly attention so that they would not grow "around' to jab her in her pads as they became long.  I think we will keep hers, that way she won't have to have the discomfort of the proceedure and we will simply be vigilant in their length and clip them as needed.  If you are not going to show according to AKC standards then it is probably just a matter of personal choice.

    Best wishes,

    Amy, Jeff, Mischief, and Bear