Re: [PyrNet-L] dewclaws/entropia

In a message dated 6/27/99 4:26:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ARIEGE@xtra.co.nz writes:

<< On the other hand has anyone out there
 managed to breed puppies with single dewclaws such as I have done and if so,
 why does this happen?? I seem to be the only one in this country over the
 years who has managed this but I don't think I'm alone on this one. >>

Jan,

I have always been told that the double dew claws are a simple recessive gene
trait.  This would mean that both sire and dam would have to have the gene.
Historically the Mountain breeders used the double dew claws as an indication
of purity i.e. the breeding of dogs without them was felt to indicate that
the dog had been cross bred with another breed at some time in the past.  I
am not sure this is relevant in our contemporary dogs, especially ones like
you have that you know for many generations of its purity, but you do
probably have a recessive gene lurking around there somewhere that finds
another in your breeding.  That's probably why you are getting them and not
others that you are aware.

Joe