Re: [PyrNet-L] dewclaws/entropia

In a message dated 6/28/99 5:31:16 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
espinay@dynamite.com.au writes:

<< If this is the case, how is it that a mating between a bitch with double
 dewclaws and a dog with singles, can produce pups with doubles as I saw
 here?  I'm getting confused!! :-/

It is confusing.  I suspect the recessive gene is speculative or deductive
reasoning.  Not sure we really know.  We should get some clues with those
dogs that have been bred to other breeds that only have single dew claws.
Anyone know??  You see other breeds that have it either way i.e. the Berger
des Pyrenees (Pyrenean Shepherds).  I have always wondered if this was
because these are actually two breeds being bred together (the long coat and
short coat).  I believe the Pyrenean Mastiff has presence or absence of
double dew claws as well.  Historically the Mountain Shepherds purportedly
felt the double dew claws were an assurance of breed purity.  I think it is
quite evident that the breed has been used with other breeds over the years.
There are now people breeding cross bred mixes today.  Also in some hands and
some countries the pedigrees are very suspect.

Jan's explanation is about as good as it gets relative the recessive
possibility.  You would think that a bitch with single dew claws, if this was
dominant, would produce at least half the litter with single's.  The presence
may not just be simple recessive, but multi-genetic.  That could throw into
the mix enough variables that with a predominately recessive gene pool an
occasional dominant gene would show up.  Pure speculation, so don't pay much
attention to this rambling <G>.

Joe

Joe